Tuesday, 8/31/2010 1:13 PM
by Peter Kuhn
As I wrote in my previous post, BlogEngine.NET has some heavy memory leaks in version 1.6.1 that caused my test installation to allocate several hundred additional kilobytes on each post view. As a result, either your server will crawl or even come to a halt after a while, or if you had set an application pool recycle threshold, you'll see recycling happening constantly.
I decided to do a bit of profiling on the project, and after that didn't bring up good clues, I bit the bullet and searched through the source to look out for the usual suspects. For that, I had downloaded the source code for 1.6.1 which hasn't been released as a separate package, but can easily be found here (I didn't want to use the trunk). In the end it turned out that I didn't even need the sources, because all the issues are part of the code in the App_Code folder and can be fixed directly there. Ok, here are my findings: More...
Tuesday, 8/31/2010 3:25 AM
by Peter Kuhn
Hi and welcome to the first post of my new blog. When I thought about having a blog, I had some things in mind I wanted to blog about; however, I had no idea what the initial blog post should look like. That changed rapidly when I tried to set up my own blog engine, and so the first post will be a description of my struggles with SubText and BlogEngine.NET.
When I had to choose a blog engine to use, I not only checked for the features I wanted, but also tried to get an impression of the activity of the project as well as the provided support. That ruled out some of the candidates, and after using some demo installations, in the end that left me with SubText and BlogEngine.NET. Mostly because I had used it before in a hosted environment, I chose SubText (version 2.5).
However, setting it up myself was harder than I thought. More...